Saturday, November 2, 2013

PERSONAL BIRTHING EXPERIENCE

My first real birthing experience was the birth of my daughter in 1986.  My wife at the time was 2 weeks over due and so we decided to have a caesarian done.  We had prepared for a natural birth with the aid of a midwife so this was a traumatic decision for us. I remember that we both cried since this was not something we had planned for.  I remember standing at her head and trying to comfort my wife while the surgery was being performed.  I didn't really see the surgery but I remember Michelle being held up so we could both see and then I went with the nurse to help clean my daughter up.  I had seen newborns before and I was expecting a baby that was kinda ugly with it's head out of shape.  I was not prepared for this beautiful child that I helped bring into the world.  I also commented on this to my wife.  She is still beautiful and now has her own child.  I am truly blessed.

BIRTHING IN JAPAN

I chose Japan as a country to contrast with the United States because I have been there a few times and so I am somewhat familiar with the culture.  What I found out was that Japan is very similar yet very different.  Children are usually born there in a hospital or doctor's clinic with usually the help of a midwife rather than a doctor.  Japan tends to use a more natural childbirth without the use of drugs or pain relievers.  Japan also adds a cultural affinity for stoic forbearance or gaman to the birthing experience.  Birth is often seen as an invigorating experience  rather than a painful and terrifying experience.  Mothers are taught to trust in their bodies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment